Atomic Earrings are small organic sculptures inspired by nature and created using the magic of 3-D printing. Our earrings are intricate and dramatic, yet incredibly lightweight and sturdy. We offer over 30 designs, in large and small, in 12 different colors.
WHO IS ATOMIC EARRINGS?
For 25 years Bob Field owned and operated Foam Props, a commercial sculpture company that created huge foam props for TV commercials, movies, museums, trade shows and events like the Olympics.
He's now designing small wearable sculptures that are inspired by images of micro-organisms such as phytoplankton, diatoms & radiolaria and other natural objects such as seedpods, shells and the many specimens in his cabinet of curiosities.
Here's a short video about Bob:
WHY "ATOMIC" EARRINGS?
The 1950's imagined a future full of Robby the Robots, trips to the planets, limitless energy and a flying car in every garage.
Although we never got our jetpacks, Atomic Earrings recalls that hopeful past and points to a better future through the magic of 3-D printing.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- What are Atomic Earrings made of? They're 3-D printed using a nylon powder that's fused together using a laser. Fishing rods, for example, are made of nylon and they're both sturdy and flexible. If our earrings fall they tend to bounce instead of shatter!
- What's 3-D Printing? You can think of 3-D printing as similar to 2-D printing, but instead of depositing a single layer of ink on a piece of paper, the 3-D printer deposits (or fuses) hundreds of layers of molten plastic, one layer on top of another to create 3-D objects.
- What's the actual size of the small earrings as compared to the large? The small earrings range from 5/8" to 1" tall, while the large range from 1.5" tall to 1.75".
- What are the hooks made of? Sterling silver.
- Are the bracelets rigid? The bracelets are VERY STURDY but they flex open so you can put them on over your wrist.
- What's the average turnover time of an order? We have over 500 pairs of earrings in stock, so usually we can ship next day. But if we don't have it in stock we can usually ship in 10 days.
- What stores sell Atomic Earrings? Dozens of museum stores carry our earrings, bracelets and necklaces. Some of these include: Museum of Fine Arts Boston, Smithsonian Museum (The Hirshhorn) , Denver Art Museum, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Milwaukee Art Museum, San Francisco Museum of Craft & Design...